As someone who was born in El Paso, Dr. Jesus Herrera-Murillo cares deeply about the community and ensures that the Las Cruces, El Paso, and surrounding communities have access to quality health care right at home. That’s why he is thrilled he can bring his expertise as a minimally invasive urologist and his skills in using robotics and advanced technology to treat urology patients at Rio Grande Urology.
“I want patients to have access to as much as possible at RGU so they don’t have to travel for urological care,” said Dr. Herrera-Murillo.
For people battling issues such as prostate cancer or an enlarged prostate, Dr. Herrera-Murillo and the team at RGU offer several treatment options and can help patients explore the best option for their situation. “What many people don’t realize is that the field of urology is very advanced technologically,” said Dr. Herrera-Murillo.
Learn more about these treatment options and how patients can benefit.
Advanced Technology Offered Through RGU
During his residency, Dr. Herrera-Murillo had the opportunity to study and practice under surgeons using the latest technology in urology. Today, he’s using those skills to help his patients get the care they need. As a minimally invasive surgeon, he can treat patients using a variety of options, including:
- Laparoscopy: When imaging tests such as CT scans, MRIs, or ultrasounds don’t provide enough detail for a diagnosis, a laparoscopy can be performed. This minimally invasive diagnostic procedure uses a laparoscope sent through small incisions made in the body. This allows your doctor to better examine your organs and what is going on without using open surgery. It can also be used to obtain a biopsy sample.
- Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate (HoLEP): For patients with enlarged prostates — a condition known as benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH — this laser prostate surgery uses a laser to treat the issue without making large incisions. The laser is used to remove any tissue blocking urine flow through the prostate. This treatment also allows your doctor to test the removed tissue for prostate cancer.
Robotic Prostatectomy: Using an advanced robotic laparoscopic surgery system, Dr. Herrera-Murillo can perform surgery to remove the prostate and any infected nearby tissue. Using an endoscope allows a close-up view of the prostate, and small robotic instruments enable surgeons to perform the surgery through small incisions in the body.
Benefits of Minimally Invasive Treatments
Each of these options benefit patients in many ways. By operating through small incisions, surgeons can focus treatment with great precision and minimize impact to the surrounding areas of the body. Compared to open surgery, minimally invasive surgery typically results in:
- Shorter hospital stays, so you can spend more time recovering at home.
- Faster recovery time to allow you to get back to your daily activities.
- Less pain, which also contributes to a faster recovery.
- Less scarring as a result of smaller incisions.
Is Minimally Invasive Surgery Right for You?
For many patients who need surgery, minimally invasive surgery is a great option to allow you to receive the care and treatment you need without undergoing open surgery. However, your doctor will discuss all options with you based on your specific case and health care needs.
If you might be a candidate for minimally invasive surgery and want to know more about these options provided by Dr. Herrera-Murillo at RGU, contact us to schedule an appointment.